HP3000-L Archives

November 2002, Week 4

From:
Kim Borgman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:20:37 -0600
Having a mother who is heavily involved in the NEA(National Education Assoc)
and ISTA (Indiana State Teachers Assoc), along with a wife teaching in
private education, here is my 10 cents worth.  Actually, ask yourself, what
is your kids education worth ?

1.  Bad teachers exist everywhere.  My son's teacher in private school last
year was worthless.  She was the principal's wife, which made it even worse.
Enough of the parents complained, she is not teaching this year.  Much
harder to get rid of a Public school teacher.  Mom has mentioned it many
times.  Unless you do something stupid, the union will keep you in and fight
for you.  Similar to the UAW in auto plants.

2.  As mentioned, Parents are the BIGGEST key.  Both positively and
negatively.  My grandma only had an eight grade education.  She encouraged
her 3 daughters to learn.  All 3 graduated from college.  Grandma's 4
grandchildren all have Masters degree's or PHD's.  Conversly, both my mother
and wife have complained about parents who don't care.  Don't encourage
Johnny, supervise him, or anything.  Then they complain when the school
doesn't 'educate' him.  Yet they are right there complaining when Johnny is
in trouble saying it is not his fault.

3.  Burnout.  Teachers, Coaches, AD's.  If they have to deal with a bunch of
problems every day, including bad kids, they eventually walk away.  Why do
you quit jobs ?  Plus they can always make more in the private sector.  The
good ones are snapped up, the bad ones can't find a decent job, so they stay
in education and put their time in.  You know these.  Out the door at 3:15
right after the kids.  Never see them at any activities or ballgames.

The government has tried to address the $ issue, but education $ are the
first thing that seems to get cut in a budget crunch.