HP3000-L Archives

November 2002, Week 1

From:
Bill Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 22:38:38 -0800
John, I'd have to agree with you in some respects. I've always been pretty
much a dyed in the wool conservative - as Margaret Thatcher - thinking that
"my side" could do no wrong while the "other side" was the devil incarnate.
Of course as I have gotten older I have become a bit more cynical.

What Churchill said years ago about Liberals and Conservatives - about the
young and old, rings true today for me.

The politicians here use money - our money - to spend on other constituents
and in effect buy votes. Both parties do it - Trent Lott, until some
political shenagins was the Senate Majority Leader, Republican from
Mississippi, got some shipwork done  in his state - after spending $180
million on a ship that the Navy doesn't even want the hull is rusting in the
yard there.

Interesting comparison between our 2 govts - if you really like politics and
in for some possible self flagellation read the Federalist Papers - they are
in effect a "diary" detailing the arguments and ideas that became our
Constitution.

Some of our  framers had argued for a Parliamentarian form of Govt but
decided on an independent Executive Branch that compensated for our lack of
a monarchy.

A President can made decisions he may feel to be right but unpopular and
isn't subject to the whim of a Congress (Parliament) recalling him - having
votes of confidence, et al - Same reason Senators have 6 year terms while
the House only 2 year terms.

But they still like to throw money around on questionable vote buying
things. Man, the subject of Pork - I could rant for hours on that.

My father believes all politicians are whores; I don't believe I am that
cynical although I must say we aren't even kissed by them when they
consummate the act with us ;-)

Bill
J Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: OT: Politics.  Was : A little astronomy for a Wednesday afternoon

Ho Hum.  I have been reading through the posts from Denys, Wirt and
others concerning Republicans and Democrat(ic)s and just want to make
a couple of comments based on my viewpoint from "over the pond".

I have a problem with the way "democracy" is represented both in the
UK and in the US. In the UK there are two main political parties which
seem to have become almost interchangeable in their policies and
actions. However, if you don't like either of the big two, the other
"choices" are almost certainly fated to be "also-rans". Both parties
seem to be made up of self-seeking, power-hungry politicians who will
always do and say what is expedient to a) maintain or gain their grasp
of power and influence, and b) line their own pockets. I know that is
an obvious generalization and there are probably exceptions but I have
yet to come across an altruistic politician (is that an oxymoron?) in
the current political arena.

Obviously I know very little about the political parties in the US but
surely they are similar to those in the UK to the extent that they are
groups of people who are committed to certain ideas and policies while
using this as a platform to further their own ambitions? So, with that
in mind, it seems very trivial to use this list to espouse a political
party over any other. I definitely do not subscribe to the "I am right
and anyone who doesn't agree with me is wrong" school of thought.

Just my 0.2 Euros...