HP3000-L Archives

November 2002, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 17:11:12 EST
Jeff writes:

> Please bear with me during the transition, but I hope we have a much
>  better list in the long run.  We make enough off-topic noise without
>  the need for spam.

We cannot say often enough, Jeff, how much we appreciate what you do -- and
have done -- for HP3000-L all of these years. But as for off-topic noise, on
many days now, if it weren't for the off-topic material, there wouldn't be
any postings at all.

As much as I hate to say it, I believe that this "noise level percentage" is
probably the best indicator that we're at the beginning of the end of the
list, just as chain store managers are taught to pay attention to how crowded
their parking lots are.

If there were an easy way to measure the total traffic density on the list
over the past five years, I suspect that we'd find that the total traffic has
recently begun to fall off significantly in the last half year -- and yet
that a greater percentage of that total traffic is now given over to
off-topic posts. Without HP providing (or even allowing) much hope for a
future for MPE, there just isn't that much to talk about.

Just a few Friday afternoon depressing thoughts.

Wirt Atmar