HP3000-L Archives

November 2002, Week 1

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:59:12 -0500
In light of the continued barrage of spam the list continues to receive,
despite my efforts to control it coming into UTC in the first place, it
is [possibly long-past] time to take action.

Effective now, postings to the list will only be accepted from
subscribers
to the list.  Before you panic, let me address what adventures may be in
store for you in the immediate future:

* If you read the list or the newsgroup and never post anything, then
  nothing changes :-)

* If you post to the list, and you are a subscriber, and the address on
  file for you (where your list mail is sent) matches the address you
  are sending from, you should be fine.

* If the address is somewhat different (an old address forwarded to your
  usual address, an alias you use for list mail, etc) you need to update
  your subscription.  Follow the list maintenance link at the end of
this
  make any corrections.  NOTE:  if you don't have an e-mail address and
  password pair for Listserv yet, you should register with the address
  that is subscribed to the list; then you can change/delete your mail
  address afterward.

* If you read the newsgroup and want your postings to pass through to
the
  list automatically, you will have to "subscribe" to the list through
  the link below.  When you subscribe, set your list option "NOMAIL" if
  you prefer to continue reading via the newsgroup; this allows your
  address to be authenticated for posting, but you will not receive
  list mail.

* Any postings which do not match the requirements will be forwarded to
  me for authentication.  I chose to do this on a Friday since I can
  have most of the weekend to handle the initial bounces :-)

* For legitimate postings I receive, I will try to keep pace and fix
  your e-mail addresses to match as time allows, but at the least I
  will approve the post and let it be distributed (there may be some
  delay, I'm really not on here 24x7 despite what my family says).

* If I can't find you in the subscriber list, and the posting was sent
  to the list through the newsgroup gateway, I will add you to the list
  in NOMAIL mode so future postings will be accepted.

* SPAM will be forwarded to Nigeria.

Please bear with me during the transition, but I hope we have a much
better list in the long run.  We make enough off-topic noise without
the need for spam.

Jeff Kell, HP3000-L List Janitor-at-Large