SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2002

From:
Christian Gerzner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 20:12:39 +1100
Huw wrote:

> All of the spring heel straps I've ever seen attach to the steel pin of
> Jetfins.  Mares Quattros don't have that pin.

http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/Spstrattch/spristrpattch.htm

There are a couple of other methods also to be found at that site but
this one is specific to your style of fin.

It also works, I have (yet) to lose mine and it would have to be three
years now.

> For DIR, more important than specific brands or products are principles.
> The principle of spring heel straps is eliminating entanglement points and
> removing breakage-prone rubber straps.  Bungee does that equally well.

I, perhaps, kinda worry about the bungee bit, if it's the kind of
bungee I'm thinking of. If it is I would be a rather nervous diver,
rightly or wrongly.

> I already have heavy legs, add heavy jetfins to that and I spend the dive
> dragging my feet around the bottom, trim totally screwed.

You surely must have since I assume you dive dry in those warm clear
waters of yours? ;-)

Reminds me though. I managed to acquire two sets of these rather
sought after Oceanic Spring Heel Straps and Roger relieved me of the
other pair quick smartish. Since, these sevreal years later, they're
still languishing somewhere in a drawer at his place I must get them back.

Incidentally, having used them for a few years now, I heartily endorse
them. They're the best thing since sliced bread, or anything else for
that matter. Supremely easy to don/doff and bulletproof (well, after
you've replaced the pin - it's hollow and VERY suspect - with a modern
SS one, which is easy).

I cannot, I REALLY cannot, understand why or how those dunderheads at
Oceanic decided to discontinue this product and, to exacerbate the
problem, then continued to enforce their copyright. That last is worse still.

Eventually, of course, that copyright expired and Halcyon now makes a
version as described in previous posts. My (original) version (I
suspect, Strike, you use these as well?) employs heavy duty rubber (I
surmise) rather than clear plastic. I make sure that I send a good
stream of fresh water down that after every dive. Notice, however, how
this rubber pad has been moulded with a nice large flat, supremely
comfortable, base to fit your heel.

As a safety feature there is a heavy duty nylon line between one and
t'other end, in case the spring gives way. There's something to be
said sometimes, however, for old fashioned standards of manufacture:
that spring, to this person totally ignorant of metallurgy, looks
bulletproof whereas cars of that era, as an example, often weren't
when compared to even the cheapest today.

Cheers,

Christian