SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2002

From:
Robert Delfs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:24:49 +0800
On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 07:48:34 -0500, Lee Bell wrote:

>Worth a look if it will teach me to splice braided line.  I've been
>searching high and low for someone that would.  It seems that those that
>can, are carefully protecting their knowledge in hopes that people like me
>will pay extra for spliced braid.

It's the best explanation of how to splice braid I've seen.  Wish I'd
had the book the first time I tried.  All I can say is that it's a bit
easier than it looks, but not much.  I try to avoid having to do it at
all costs.  If I have to join two pieces, well, that's what a Zeppelin
Bend is for.

Two bits of advice:

1)  Make sure you have the right size fid for the line you want to
splice.  "Almost" doesn't work very well.

2)  Don't even think about trying to splice parallel core braided cover
- that's for the pros!

Robert Delfs

Robert Delfs
Reply to:  <[log in to unmask]>