SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2002

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:38:49 +1100
On Thursday, November 28, 2002 5:10 AM, Ray C. wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=594&e=9&cid=594&u=/nm/20021
127/hl_nm/diving_medications_dc

G'Day, Ray.  You've been quiet on the list for far too long!  :-)

I guess the dangers of using medications/drugs is something that many of us
tend to be aware of without neccessarily thinking too deeply about.
Paradoxically, while I've never taken anything for impending sea-sickness
other than ginger tablets, I regularly used to carry - and use - Sudafed.
Especially when they could be bought across the counter at, say,
supermarkets.  Despite having an awareness of the controversy surrounding
their use when diving, I always considered that I was using them
'responsibly'!  (I wasn't, of course!  The slightest sniffle I'd and pop one
before diving.  Especially when I was teaching, or wanting to maximise the
number of liveaboard trip dives.) :-)

Now that their sale has been restricted to pharmacies - and you actually
have to ask for them, rather than picking them off the shelf - I haven't
used them for over a year.  Funnily enough, since discontinuing their use, I
no longer seem to suffer from as many sinus sniffles!  :-)

Strike