SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:50:15 -0500
On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:38:30 -0500, Michael Doelle
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>
>>>Don't recall the actual mileage then.
>>>http://www.ityt.com/mileagecalculator/index.php gives me MUC --> 4255 -->
>>>ORD --> 1743 --> LAX --> 2555 --> HNL --> 5082 --> SYD for a total of
>>>13902.
>
>>Kewl!  But your mileage calculator is not as good as http://gc.kls2.com/
>>which I learned from rec.travel.air, that gave you 13,894 miles.
>
>One is as good as another, I fink.

The reason I said the "Great Circle" one was better was because it
allows you to (a) specify (easily) as many connection as you wish,
such as "muc-ord,ord-lax,lax-hnl,hnl-gum,gum-cns,cns-syd" if you
chose that one; whereas your ityt calculator allows only TWO airports
between initial and final airports;  (b) the "Great Circle" one
plots the route showing how direct or crooked the route is.

But neither gives the EXACT mileage different airlines give for the
actual connections, but very, very close, most of the time.

For "real" distances I usually use Great
> Circle calculators. For my miles the airlines get to decide and they
>normally don't listen when I calculate them differently.

That's still another advantage of the Great Circle calculator -- it
doesn't depend on which airline you fly.

-- Bob.