SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:17:14 -0500
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 20:09:07 -0500, Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

RF> They put rubber on their FEET (when it rains) instead of somewhere
RF> else!  :-)  <======

RF> You never listen to ANYBODY.  Your specialty is ARGUING -- how many
RF> different kulcharal meanings are thar for them word?  ;-))  <======
>
>You clearly missed the emoticon at the end of the sentence.

Right, Lee.

>> The use of "rubber" for the protective rubber bootie that goes on top
>> of street shoes is strictly BRITISH, which I learned first hand, from
>> the English, in an English colony.
>
>I'm sorry.  You must be right.  The BRITISH LADY who used the term to mean
>an eraser, must have been ignorant or lying about her citizenship I suppose.
>My mother, who I always thought of as American, possibly because the family
>line dates back to the first settlements in this country and, in fact, is
>credited with having founded one of the first churches in colonies, must be
>BRITISH herself.  Funny I could be so wrong.  Since you never are, it must
>be me, and both of them.  Imagine that.

Lee, you seemed to have forgotten this entire thread is a JOKE, when
your overwhelming desire to nitpick and argue overwhelmed you.

Your mother (and your educational system) must have forgotten to teach
you that there are MANY different meanings to the same WORD, as in this
case "rubber", and that the common meaning of one word in one country
may be entirely different in another.

-- Bob.