SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:55:16 -0500
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:44:17 -0500, Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Reef Fish wrote:
>
>> >All this from a land where a rubber removes mistakes from paper rather
>> >than preventing them somewhere entirely different.
>
>> You've got that one wrong!
>> They put rubber on their FEET (when it rains) instead of somewhere else!
>:-)
>
>Like I'm going to listen to somebody of Chinese ancestry, living in the U.S.
>and currently in Australia about what the English say.  8^)

You never listen to ANYBODY.  Your specialty is ARGUING -- how many
different kulcharal meanings are thar for them word?  ;-))

Apart from the fact that my Chinese ancestry was already in their
golden period of POETRY when you ancesters were still swing on trees,
I learned my English:

First, in a British Colony, from Irish Jesuit priests!   :-)
Second, in a Kentucky Colony (not the one of Fried Chitkin fame), but
  in a place, as are in many places in the USA, which emphemistically
  call themselves a place of "higher education", where people couldn't
  tell a "picture" from a "pitcher", or a "pen" from a "pin".  :-)

THEN, I start learning the proper and improper usage of the English
language from various sources, which do not include LISTS and NGs
where one learns primarily how to BULLSHIT.  :-)))

>My "rubber" comment comes from the aunt of one of my best friends while
>growing up.  The entire family was British, but the aunt, Molly, was a
>recent arrival.

So how did you end up in the swamps of Florida where they still haven't
counted up the votes in 2000?  ;-)

The use of "rubber" for the protective rubber bootie that goes on top
of street shoes is strictly BRITISH, which I learned first hand, from
the English, in an English colony.

>Upon entering her first job, she promptly inquired as to
>where the rubbers were kept, with predicable results.  While it's quite
>possible that things have changed since, my mother, from New England rather
>than Old England, referred to overshoes as rubbers, as did my grandmother.
>So, I'll give you a half right on the chance that what came from New England
>also exists in the Real England . . . until one or both of us is proven
>wrong by those that really know.

Since when have you been deterred from arguing after you were proven
wrong?

Linear functions?  The definition of statistical terms?  ...  Dive
computer algorithms?  Okay, so those were "technical" issues you can be
excused for your ignorance, though not your style to ARGUE ad infinitum,
never admitting a wrong.

How about this CLASSICAL case, in which only ordinary English is
involved and Lee decided to pick on my TWO LINES, and was going to
show his superior knowledge about that part of Grand Cayman, because
he didn't know I was there every year (at THAT location) for about
10 consecutive years in a row.  HAhahahaha!

RF > That section of town is called Georgetown.  Devil's Grotto and
RF > Eden Rock are adjacent sites just south of the Georgetown Pier

Those who were at this year's CAIV02NEDfest dived at Devil's Grotto
(as usually the case) for the last dive, and the Cayman Aggressor is
docked at the Georgetown Pier at the start and end of the charter,
so you can REALLY appreciate how Lee told me how WRONG I was.  :-)))))

Read about the 2nd half of Lee's incessant ARGUING in:

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

Read how Lee ARGUED to the bitter end, even after he had been shown
completely wrong in ALL his assertions, and he was the one who chose
to pick on me on those two lines in the first place.  FUC 6.2!!

If you need some help in diagramming how Lee ARGUED and ARGUED even
after he was shown completely wrong, see the explanation in

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

in which I explained to one of Lee's fans when she wrote,

> If Lee doesn't know something, he says so.  The man isn't a bullshitter.

So there!

Lee, that should give you plenty to dance on.  :-)
But. I am still on vacation and don't expect any response, because I
still haven't found the time to write up my Take II report yet.  :-))

>This is kind of fun.  More anyone?

I have plenty more.  But this one will do for the rest of this year. <BWG>

-- Bob.