SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2002

From:
Reef Fish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 10:40:41 -0500
On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 01:39:37 -0500, Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Feeesh would have the details (he was there), but Dr Dan Manion did
>something like 525fsw on air, with some heavy EANx on the way back.
>His wife was at 300-something and Feeesh was above her snapping pix
>(if not for the camera, he would have been closer to her).

Pretty good recollection except the last phrase!  :-))

I dived with Dan at least another dozen times in July without ever going
over my OWN LIMIT at the time.  In fact, I reported a dive of FOUR of
us SOBs, Dan to 485 fsw, his SO to 350, an instructor to 250, and I
stay around 170, without any camera!  :-))

"Know YOUR limit, and dive WITHIN it".

>Dan got bent pretty seriously sometime afterward, ironically on a much
>more sane dive, but after a day on trimix.

Yup, in this case the TRIMIX Devil did him in!   I posted this in
a thread on "deep air".  DAN was bent at 298 ft on air.

RF> Then, for the record, Dan Manion paid the price (since you used the
RF> term, in his DCI hit which left him paralyzed), in SHALLOW air.
RF> He had NO incident in any of his dives below 300 fsw.  I was his
RF> SOB (hanging shallow around 170 fsw) on many of his deep air dives
RF> below 400 fsw, including the week in which his 525 (FFW, not fsw)
RF> dive was made.
RF>
RF> We'll NEVER know what would have happened if Dan had STAYED with
RF> deep air and not messed with Trimix ... but he was hit on the dive
RF> IMMEDIATELY after a TRIMIX dive, several months later, presumably
RF> not having had a sufficiently long SIT.  There's a case to be said
RF> that TRIMIX did him in.

YOu'll find this post and half a dozen related posts about Dan by going
to http://groups.google.com  ,use the advanced search option and search
for keywords "Dan Manion SOB" and author "reef fish".

>I know Feeesh has posted it before, but it was pre-Google as far as I
>remember, so not sure if it's archived.  No wait, I looked it up and
>it's there.  The URL is a mile long so here's a shortcut:
>
>   http://tinyurl.com/2dx3

I had forgotten, there was a TRIMIX FATALITY mentioned.

>If that doesn't work for you, do a Google groups search with:
>
>   Dr Dan Manion scuba depth record air
>
>Jeff

As I said in the clip above, we'll never know for sure, but having
seen Dan made numerous dives on AIR to nearly 500 fsw without any
mishap, it is my opinion he would have been better off staying with
the Devil (deep AIR) he knows, rather than the Devil (Trimix) he
doesn't know -- as aptly said by the Hawaiian who did over 15,000
deep air dives, "I'd rather trust the Devil I know than the Devil
I don't know".

In any event, to me, it's always THEIR BIDness!

-- Bob.