SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2002

From:
David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:21:50 +1100
On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 03:24:22 -0500, Brad wrote:
(snip)
Reef Fish wrote:
> > Brad, that's the weather forecast for Cairns.  The Manly Ferry across
the
> > harbor I'll be meeting Strike will be in Sydney, a couple thousand
> > km away. and much closer to Antartica!  :-)))

(snip)

> How right you are! Take that party north to Cairns! ...BTW, I always
> wondered why those Aussies chose to live down that far, when there is
Cairns
> up there. I know Sydney and Perth are great cities, but is that really
> important? Just wondered.

Mate!  Just so that you don't think that we're all running around dressed up
like Eskimos - and to put it into perspective - Los Angeles is closer to the
North Pole than is Sydney to the South Pole!  It's just that we don't have
so many interesting cities in between.  (Nobody counts Melbourne!)  :-))))))

I've lived in Cairns and like it enormously.  But when you start to go to
pubs that have to have the air conditioning turned up full belt to counter
the effects of a roaring log fire,  ("It gives the place atmosphere"!) then
your thoughts start to turn to the advantages of more temperate climates!
:-)

(We also lived in Darwin - which is even further to the north - and always
referred to folks from Cairns as Southerners!)  :-)

And as for the weather today?  It's overcast with occasional showers.  The
first rains that we've had for a long, long while and still not enough to
end the severe drought conditions.  (There won't be a drought tomorrow!  The
bottles of Phyco-Plonk are already chilling in the 'fridge!)  :-)

Strike