SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2002

From:
Huw Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:20:53 -0500
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:04:24 +1100, David Strike <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

G'day mate,

>G'Day, Huw!  It looks very artistic.

Oh dear!  Artistic doesn't sound like the sort of thing a fin strap should
be... :-)

>But if  you're committed to that style
>of fin strap, why not consider just drilling two holes on each side of the
>foot pocket , (close to the peg and roughly at the point where the fabric's
>at it's thickest).  From ther material left over from your Force Fins, cut
>out a protective grommet for each hole.  Stopper knots - on the outside of
>the fin - will be sufficient  to secure the cord.  Especially if, as Mike's
>said, you reduce any slippage with generous dollops of Aquaseal!  :-)

My original thought was to cut holes in the foot pocket, but on closer
inspection the material is fairly soft and - even with cannibalising my
FF's - I'm not convinced it wouldn't quickly tear.

However, the latest version has an overhand knot cranked right up against
the square knot on each end, which seems enough to stop it working loose.
It's not nearly as 'artistic', but does seem a sight more secure!

Cheers,
Huw
--
http://www.huwporter.com