SCUBA-SE Archives

November 2002

From:
Huw Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 11:44:28 -0500
On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 07:23:55 -0500, Lee Bell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Huw Porter wrote:
>
>> Pics of the straps
>> http://www.huwporter.com/scuba/fins.html
>
>This will never do.  The straps are clearly stroke gear.  They're not
>black. 8^)

I knew there was something wrong with them!

>Your strap design is innovative.  I like the way you incorporated something
>at the back to pull them into place and to cushion the area that contacts
>the back of your foot.

<whisper>
Those are the heel pads from a spair pair of f*rce fin straps...
</whisper>

> I must admit, thought, I'm a bit surprised the cord
>stays attached to the fin.  That connection looks shaky.  Of course, looks
>can be deceiving.

That is the bit I'm least happy with.  The square knots are cranked down
extremely tight, but it is only the friction of the tension of the part of
the shock cord round the peg holding it secure, and I'm not convinced that
repeated use (tensioning and releasing the heel ends) won't eventually work
it loose.

I'm considering putting a sheepshank on top of the first square knot in
place of the second, which might be more secure, but that will require
cutting the continuous heel loop and mean I need two zeppelin bends behind
the heel.

>To be honest, I don't fully understand the need to replace the standard
>strap arrangement with either bungie or shock cord.  Bearing in mind the
>fact that I presently and always in the past, use full foot fins, would you
>explain your choice?

1. Easily and quickly field replacable, using widely available materials,
value about a quid.

2. Reduced risk of entanglement (compared to the long tails of rubber that
flap about from the standard straps, but admittedly not as good as spring
heel straps or full foot fins)

3. Much easier to put on and take off.

4. No clips to wear out or pop open at inconvenient moments.

5. Straps always the right size when switching between bootees and heavy
duty drysuit boots.

6. I've heard plenty of stories about the standard Mares rubber straps
breaking, particularly in the cold.

7. No risk of strap coming loose due to compression of boots at depth.

8. That blue is pretty stylish, eh!

Cheers,
Huw
--