HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 5

From:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:22:26 -0800
On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 08:00, Evan Vaala wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:41:36 -0600, Michael Anderson
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[...]

> >What I would do, is keep these addresses on a platform where Worms and
> >the like usually don't go, like the HP3000. [...]

I would also suggest something less susceptible than a "100% MS" environment
[you're "shuddering" for a reason, after all... :) ]

> Unfortunately, I am dealing with 100% MS.  Could directly interface smpt
> with sockets, but would rather use something already written, and easy for
> the staff to use.

That said, a simple search for "mailing list software" pulls up some
possibilities:

GNU mailman  (www.list.org)

Mailman is software to help manage electronic mail discussion lists, much like
Majordomo or Smartmail. Mailman gives each mailing list a unique web page and
allows users to subscribe, unsubscribe, and change their account options over
the web. Even the list manager can administer his or her list entirely via
the web. Mailman has most of the features that people want in a mailing list
management system, including built-in archiving, mail-to-news gateways, spam
filters, bounce detection, digest delivery, and so on. See the features page
for more detail.

[the requirements page points out this runs on "unix-y platforms, possibly
including mac os-X, and *might* work under windows using cygwin -- please let
them know if you have success with this ;) ]

it also requires python

Note that mailman compares itself to majordomo [which is the next google hit]

http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/

majordomo is written in perl, from their webpage on compatability:

Majordomo was developed under UNIX based systems, but will probably work on
others. If you can get Perl to compile and run cleanly on your system, and
can send Internet mail by piping or calling an external program (and that
external program reads its list of recipients from a plain text file), you
can probably get Majordomo to work on a wide variety of UNIX-based and
non-UNIX based systems.

Of coure, the next possibility is one I'm certain you're WELL familiar with:
l-soft's listserv [you're using one now]

http://www.lsoft.com/

the download page shows it runs under windows; the free/lite versioon allows
up to 500 members per list for non-commercial purposes [being this is for a
school I think you can even get a "larger" limit without much trouble]

somewhere down the list of hits is a general FAQ at
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/mail/list-admin/software-faq/

which might help you make a better decision