HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 5

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:41:36 -0600
You say that you 'absolutely shudder at the thought of importing a few
hundred e-mail address into this packaging just sitting as bait for the
next worm.'

Import from where?

What I would do, is keep these addresses on a platform where Worms and
the like usually don't go, like the HP3000. Also, I'd put them in a
simple, reliable, and powerful, secure database like Image. Then I'd
write a little brain-dead (COBOL) program that reads in these addresses,
and makes use a freeware program like MAILNM to send out your messages,
one at a time to each address.

Just my $0.02,

--
Michael Anderson
Spring Independent School District

>>> Evan Vaala <[log in to unmask]> 10/30/02 09:19AM >>>
Looking for advice from the group.

I am helping out the principal of my childrens school in distributing
weekly newsletters via pre-registered e-mails.  They currently are
using
Outlook Express as their e-mail package, and I absolutely shudder at
the
thought of importing a few hundred e-mail address into this packaging
just
sitting as bait for the next worm.

I've always used Netscape Messenger myself, but I still would not be
comfortable with that as a mechanism for mass distribution.

Might Eudora or Pegasus be some good, safe, easy to use,
possibilities?

Any others?

Thanks for any advice.

Evan Vaala
Rockwell Automation

By the way, I used Jakarta's James project for registering e-mails.
Worked
very well with it's customizable "mailets" working as an smtp
receiver.
Students parents were given a unique key that they put in the subject
line
of an e-mail that they then sent to the James smtp receiver.  James
pareses
out all the fields into a "Mail" object that it then passes into a
Mailet
that you create/inherit.  In the Mailet code I authenticate the key
pulled
from the subject line.  If valid, it is registered into db.