HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:34:19 -0700
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as an HP JetDirect box with a serial
port. The division that makes the JetDirect just never got it that there are
a ton of serial printers out there that people would like to hook up to
their network. That said, there are companies that make such a thing, but if
you get one, be sure to use the "snmp_enabled=false" directive in your
npconfig file for any printer connected to such a box. [Intel used to make a
really nice print server box, called, I think, the NetExport. Unfortunately
they no longer make it.]

You say "old HP serial printers". The "HP" part is important. Native MPE
network printing ONLY WORKS WITH PRINTERS THAT UNDERSTAND PCL. Laser
printers of most any manufacture understand PCL. Very few non-HP impact
printers understand PCL. If you want to network a non-HP impact printer, you
will likely have to go to a third party spooler product.