HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:17:41 -0400
KENT WALLACE wrote:

> I have an FTP from my N-class 220, to a NT box that fails consistently.
> We tried using reflections FTP.  When we go to the Properties screen,
> then the advanced tab and click the Box titled "USE PASSIVE MODE", the
> FTP will work.
>
> What is PASSIVE MODE, how do I do this on my FTP from the HP3000.

This is very likely a firewall issue.  Normally FTP uses a command
channel (client to host port 21) and a data channel (host port 20 to
client) for actual transfers.  This requires some firewall symmetry in
configuration to allow outbound connections to port 21 (the easy part)
but allow inbound connections FROM outside on port 20 (the hard part,
as ideally you only want to permit them when there is a matching command
channel open to the same host).

Passive mode sneaks around this and doesn't require a "matching hole"
in your firewall.

Passive mode was relatively obscure until the advent of the web browser,
which generally uses passive mode by default (to avoid firewall issues).

Jeff