HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
fred White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
fred White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:32:49 -0700
In a recent email, Steve Almes inquired about Automatic Capacity
Management asking about the advisibility of using prime capacities for
Master datasets.

The "prime number" capacity for Master datasets is a never-to-be
forgotten fiction accidently created in the original IMAGE manual way
back in 1974 and subsequently propagated by a couple of so-called
experts who didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

The thing to avoid is capacities one of whose factors is a large power
of 2 (i.e., 2**N where N>>1).  Consequently, the simplest valid "rule"
is to select any acceptable ODD integer.

The Adager Web site "www.adager.com" is the source for numerous
technical papers about Image, one of which, entitled "Dynamic Dataset
Expansion", was authored by me. I strongly suggest that those of you
who choose to use Image's Automatic Capacity Management feature read
this article.

After doing so, you might want to browse through many of the other
technical papers as well as browsing the rest of the Adager Web site.

FW