HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 3

From:
Peter Osborne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Osborne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:07:28 -0400
There's a utility on Linux called enscript that I once used to convert a text
file to Postscript. It converted all the PCL escape sequences with it
unfortunately. They would show up as something like "\13\10" but it did work.

Assuming you want to convert PCL to PS/PDF, the only method I have found is to
either use a commercial product to convert it, or write your own program to
convert the PCL that "you" use in your reports. Writing a basic converter for
simple reports that are generated on the 3000 would be pretty simple.
Generally only 4-5 fonts are used and no graphics (not including environment
files of course) are in our reports so it wouldn't be much work.

Once you have your report in Postscript, it seems that you can do virtually
anything with it using open source software. For example, once you have valid
Postscript, you can use the open source hylafax server to fax the document,
Ghostscript and ImageMagick to convert it to every other imaginable format,
and alot of graphics programs can open Postscript files and include them in a
document.

Of course only a certain amount of this can be done on MPE, but having
Ghostscript available is a big step.

-Pete