HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 3

From:
Goetz Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Goetz Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 02:31:35 -0500
Catherine Phelan wrote:

> Hello Everyone
>
> Our new Tally printer prints but each line is preceded by &a+01R or &a+03R?
> Please can anyone advise me how to fix this.

IIRC, <ESC>&a+<nn>R  is the PCL escape sequence used by the
MPE network spooler to translate a CCTL byte of %2xx (octal)
in the spoolfile to advance <nn> lines.

Looks like your Tally printer does not understand this PCL sequence,
and does print it out as text instead. Any decent PCL compatible
printer should silently ignore PCL commands (escape sequences)
that it does not understand.

But in your case what might help you is a network spooler
configuration (NPCONFIG) directive that changes the spoolers
behaviour for CCTL %2xx.  Try adding :

serial_printer_simulation = true

for the config options for this printer.

This basically changes the MPE network spooler to use
<nn> times <CRLF> to advance <nn> lines instead of
<ESC>&a+<nn>R .

This option was added because the MPE serial spooler uses
the same behaviour.  HP could not make it the default though,
because originally the network spooler was designed to behave
like the spooler for large system printers (F100's),  so MPE
had to stay backward compatible for those customers who relied
on this behaviour. That is why it was made configurable.

HTH,

Goetz,
HP/WTEC