HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:34:12 EDT
Mark writes regards Wilson's founding of the League of Nations:

> That's interesting.  The weekend paper printed a short timeline of the
>  history of Iraq.  A League of Nations mandate put Britain in control of
Iraq
>  in 1920.  King Faisal was proclaimed King in 1921.  Iraq gained
independence
>  in 1932.  The Faisal family ruled until a coup in 1958.  Two coups later,
>  the Revolutionary Command Council took over Iraq in 1968.  The
>  Vice-President of the RCC was one Saddam Hussein.

You can't blame Woodrow Wilson for the current Iraqi troubles or the
partitioning of the Middle East. He was not only mightily opposed to
England's, France's and Italy's demand after WWI to make Germany pay
reparations, foreseeing the economic catastrophe that it place on Germany, he
was outraged when he found out the secret plans that these same European
nations had made before WWI to partition the Ottoman Emprire following its
fall as a result of The Great War, with oil being the great prize.

[As an aside, the situation 90 years ago bears striking resemblence to that
of today. The Bush White House is currently not-so-secretly making plans for
a US military Governor-General administration to rule Iraq after the fall of
Saddam, not unlike MacArthur's rule of Japan following WWII. Oil remains the
prize. Iraq sits atop the second largest pool of proven oil reserves known;
Saudi Arabia is the first. The US known reserves will probably be depleted in
30 years. Iraq's -- at the current rate of consumption -- will last another
250 years.

As a result, oil companies are lining up outside the Administration's doors,
jockeying for position in the "newIraq" (Two years ago, the second largest
supplier of oil field equipment and services to Iraq was Halliburton, during
Dick Cheney's tenure as CEO. These people all know each other well and will
clearly do business with one another when it's to their advantage.)

The Bush administration has recently made semi-secret accomodations with
Putin and the Russian government to *not* flood the world market with cheap
Iraqi oil delivered via the administration of American organizations.
Although that flood would represent a significant boost to the American
economy, it would disasterous to the Russian economy. Thus, in an effort to
persuade the Russians to go along with a UN Security Council resolution
allowing an attack on Iraq, the Bush White House has promised no oil glut and
price supports at or higher than the current level.]

"Self-determination" of nations was Wilson's great goal, and it was a theme
he repeated over and over again, but he couldn't make it a reality in the
face of European greed, arrogance, and economic and military might. There is
an arrogance and a stupidity that seems to accompany sole superpower status.

An analysis congruent with my understanding of the facts is found at:

     http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/MiddleEast/1300/Spoils.asp

I've repeated the pertinent part of the text below:

Besides the wealth wasted internally on their outdated feudal form of
government, foreign military might forced the signing of unequal trade
contracts that consumed more wealth. "[E]verything in Turkey which [was]
clean, sturdy and beautiful [was] from somewhere else." It only remained for
the violent upheaval of World War I to dissolve the once mighty empire.

The provinces of Algeria and Tunisia were the first to break away (1830 and
1881). Though nominally still a Turkish province and coveted by France, Egypt
was effectively taken over by Britain in 1881. In 1911, Italy invaded Libya
and, pressured by attacks from the Balkan states (Bulgaria, Greece,
Montenegro, and Serbia) attacking from the West, Turkey made peace with the
eastern invaders and lost control in Africa as it rushed to defend its
western provinces.

Italy now took an interest in Libya while the ostracized German nation saw
its chance to gain power vis-à-vis France, England, and Russia by becoming an
ally of Turkey. They built the Berlin-to-Baghdad Railway and trained the
Turkish army. In 1912, the war in the Balkans cost the Ottoman Empire almost
all territory west of the Bosporus. It regained much of it in 1913 when the
Balkan nations could not agree on the division of the spoils and went to war
amongst themselves.

But it was English, French, and Russian covert efforts to destabilize
Germany's trading partner - the Austro-Hungarian empire - that led to World
War I. Turkey felt that "if the Allies won the war, they would cause or allow
the Ottoman Empire to be partitioned, while if Germany won the war, no such
partition would be allowed to occur."9 To quote Karl Polanyi again, it was
the collapse of the balance of power that led to World War I. Before that
alliance with the besieged Ottoman Empire Germany was reinforcing her
position by making a hard and fast alliance with Austria-Hungary and
Italy....In 1904, Britain made a sweeping deal with France over Morocco and
Egypt; a couple of years later she compromised with Russia over Persia, that
loose federation of powers was finally replaced by two hostile power
groupings; the balance of power as a system had now come to an end....About
the same time the symptoms of the dissolution of the existing forms of world
economy - colonial rivalry and competition for exotic markets - became acute.

Just as British diplomats had long feared, "the scramble to pick up the
pieces [of the Ottoman Empire] might lead to a major war between the European
powers" and World War I erupted. Christopher Layne's analysis is worth
repeating,

Backed by Czarist Russia's pan-Slavic foreign policy, Serbia attempted to
foment unrest among Austria-Hungary's restless South Slavs, with the aim of
splitting them away from Austria-Hungary and uniting them with Serbia in a
greater South Slav state - the eventual Yugoslavia. The Austro-Hungarians
knew that this ambition, if realized, would cause the breakup of the Habsburg
empire (and in fact, did so). In Vienna, Serbia came to be regarded as a
threat to Austria-Hungary's very existence. On July 2, 1914, the
Austro-Hungarian Foreign Minister, Count Berchtold, told Emperor Franz Josef
that to remain a great power, Austria-Hungary had no alternative but to go to
war against Serbia. In July 1914, Austria-Hungary believed it could survive
only by defeating the external powers that were exploiting its internal
difficulties....Austria-Hungary's rulers, having weighed the balance, decided
that "the risks of peace were now greater than the risks of war."

Turkey joined on the side of the Triple Alliance (Germany, Austria-Hungary,
Italy), and with the defeat of that alliance, as had been secretly agreed on
years before, the Middle East was divided among the victorious powers with
Britain "adding nearly a million square miles to the British Empire."

The promise of self-determination implicit in Lenin's diplomacy and President
Wilson's "Fourteen Points" of January 1918, made it no longer possible for
Britain and France to impose direct colonial rule over the Arab lands they
had agreed to partition in 1916. They therefore came up with a proposal
whereby these same areas would be ceded to them by the League of Nations as
their "mandates" under the fiction that these territories were being prepared
for future self rule. Iraq, Palestine, and Transjordan came under British
mandate, Lebanon and Syria under that of France....[Egypt's monarchy] was set
up only to facilitate British control; it was overthrown by the Egyptian army
in 1952....[Since that time,] Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Iraq have had to
struggle hard to establish their legitimacy. Meanwhile, the Arabic speaking
states of North Africa continued as colonies: Algeria, Morocco, and Tunisia
under the French, and Libya under the Italians. They became independent only
after the Second World War. A small piece of land called Kuwait also
continued to exist under colonial rule, as a British protectorate.

After World War I the borders and the leaders of virtually all Arab states
were decided upon by Britain and France. (See footnote 2; Jordan's assigned
monarch was not even a local; he was from Saudi Arabia.)

On April 27, 1920, at the Conference of San Remo following the collapse of
the Ottoman Empire,

Britain and France finally concluded a secret oil bargain agreeing in effect
to monopolize the whole future output of Middle Eastern oil between them.
[Two years later when under pressure from their own puppet (King Feisal) for
Iraqi independence, Britain's Prime Minister, Lloyd George commented]..."If
we leave we may find a year or two after we departed that we handed over to
the French and Americans some of the richest oilfields in the world."

Massive amounts of the wealth of the old Ottoman Empire were now claimed by
the victors. But one must remember that the Islamic empire had tried for
centuries to conquer Christian Europe and the power brokers deciding the fate
of those defeated people were naturally determined that these countries
should never be able to organize and threaten Western interests again. With
centuries of mercantilist experience, Britain and France created small,
unstable states whose rulers needed their support to stay in power. The
development and trade of these states were controlled and they were meant
never again to be a threat to the West. These external powers then made
contracts with their puppets to buy Arab resources cheaply, making the feudal
elite enormously wealthy while leaving most citizens in poverty.

Once small weak countries are established, it is very difficult to persuade
their rulers to give up power and form those many dependent states into one
economically viable nation. Conversely, it is easy for outside power brokers
to support an exploitative faction to maintain or regain power. None of this
can ever be openly admitted to or the neo-mercantilist world would fall
apart. The fiction of sovereign governments, equal rights, fair trade, etc.,
must continue. To be candid is to invite immediate widespread rebellion and
loss of control.

During World War I, President Woodrow Wilson learned about the secret
agreements to carve up the Middle East and was determined to thwart them;
thus his proposal for the League of Nations under which colonialism would
eventually be dismantled. He personally assumed the role of U.S. negotiator
for that purpose. Being head of state gave President Wilson the right to
chair the peace conference and set the agenda. This caused great anxiety
among the colonial powers of Europe. But Lloyd George, the British negotiator
and designer of the Middle East partition that President Wilson found so
offensive, was able to thwart Wilson's every move to grant those territories
independence. With a shift in elections at home, President Wilson could not
even obtain the consent of the United States to join and lead the League of
Nations and his great hopes for world peace were stillborn. The suggestions
for full rights for all the world's people described in this part are little
more than an outline of President Wilson's dream of world peace.

When World War II consumed the wealth of the colonial governments of Europe,
the disenfranchised world started to break free from those shackles. Some of
the installed puppets became increasingly independent and others were
overthrown. The last direct control in the Middle East was abandoned in the
early 1970s when Britain "grant[ed] independence to Oman and the small
sheikdoms that would become Bahrain, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates."
But there was still indirect control; these small states did not have
economic independence. That can only come with a viable nation that has the
power to protect equality of trades with other nations.

Wirt Atmar