HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 3

From:
"Wayne R. Boyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 17 Oct 2002 18:01:34 -0500431_- Johnson, Tracy ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Thanks, this seems to be what I need.
:
If VMS booted, you may need to reset the SYSTEM account's password.
The procedure for performing that is in the VMS FAQ:

http://www.openvms.compaq.com/wizard/faq/vmsfaq.txt

5.5 I've forgotten the SYSTEM password - what can I do?

The SYSTEM account is equivalent to the root account of a unix system. [...]50_17Oct200218:01:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:26:20 EDT
In a message dated 10/21/02 2:16:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> On a 9x8 box, does the firmware chip holding the user license, Susan number,
> etc. go with the chassis or the processor board?

Oh Tim!  Don't go and ask questions like this!  You'll drive yourself crazy!
I tried to get answers to these kinds of questions years ago and the response
was effectively silence.  I think that HP thinks that the license goes with
whatever they feel like claiming it goes with on the day that you ask.  Also
be aware that as best I can determine, licenses vanish if you don't keep
paying HP support dollars.

In MY thinking (not HP's) the license kinda does travel with it's related
critical piece of hardware - the board which physically contains the HPSUSAN,
etc.  Perhaps instead, it should travel with the s/n on the box?  How about
it travels no where and you can sell off your hardware but retain title to
the license???  How about you can sell off your license(s) but retain the
hardware as a collection of spare parts?

For laughs and giggles, how can I have lots of legit HP-3000s but not have
legit (in HP's view) licenses for them?

Wayne Boyer
Cal-Logic