HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]
Subject: [HP3000-L] Network printing problem

I have a client that is having trouble getting a LaserJet 8150 to print.
The device is several networks/firewalls away. We have: [...]52_16Oct200217:45:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:18:11 EDT
Denys writes:

> Well, it's very simple.  First you ignore the New Yuck Times.  Next you get
>  real news without the liberal interpretation:
>
>  http://www.washtimes.com/business/20021018-71352476.htm

Although I rarely agree with Denys about anything, I do agree very much that
understanding the motivation behind the authorship of documents and the
publication's agenda is paramount to understanding their text. In every
document, there exists text, subtext and context. It's the subtext that is
often the most important to discern.

The Greeks had it right when they said that the three most important things
in life are to know what is true, to delight in what is beautiful and to
strive to live a virtuous life.

While Denys rejects virtually everything that is considered authoritative by
people in the know, he does constantly quote "authorities" that all have a
common root, the Unification Church of Rev. Sun Myung Moon, to the point that
you must wonder if Denys is a member of the Church. The Washington Times
newspaper that Denys quotes often is nothing more than a propaganda piece for
Rev. Moon and his Unification Church, owned and wholly controlled by the
Church.

Denys also has a propensity to quote Fred Singer, founder of SEPP (Science
and Environmental Policy Project), an outspoken critic of global warming,
ozone depletion and general environmental policy. As such, Singer is wildly
out of touch with mainstream scientific thought, but he is wholly inline with
the Rev. Moon's thoughts o this subject. His institute is funded by the
Reverend Moon and the Unification Church and Singer maintains a board
position at the Church.

Another of Denys' favorite organizations to quote is the "Oregon Institute of
Science and Medicine," an institute that argues that the effects of all-out
nuclear war are vastly overblown. As you might guess, this institute is also
funded by the Rev. Moon's Unification Church.

The only "Institute" of Rev. Moon's that I cannot remember Denys quoting is
the "Discovery Institute", founded by Jonathan Wells, a disciple of Rev.
Moon's who is one of the primary advocates of the intelligent design notion.
Taken directly from his web page, "Dr. Wells is currently working on a book
criticizing the over-emphasis on genes in biology and medicine."

Before Denys "Moons" you again, you should understand the nature of his
sources and their general credibility. The Unification Church is insinuating
itself into far right-wing of the Republican Party, adocating a very
right-wing, conservative Christian, anti-environmental, anti-evolution,
anti-intellectual, hawkish set of positions, primarily through stealth and
misrepresentation. As good an example of one of the newspaper's
misrepresentative "crusades" that you might find is this one small example:

     http://www.fair.org/extra/0205/lynxgate.html

Unfortunately, most of the material published in the Washington Times is of
equal quality and representative of their general agenda.

Wirt Atmar