HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 3

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:16:11 -0700
Matt asks:
> When we Telnet in to our HP3000 with Reflections or QC Term we are limited
> to 80 characters as returned by our HP3000.  Telnetting in assigns random
> device numbers and we never know which device a session will use.  How do
> you change this to default to 132 character mode for a Telnet session.

Does this affect ordinary MPE CI command input, or is it just when inside
your application or some utility program?

If your problem is that the application you're using is finding out the
record width of the $STDIN device and using this number to limit reads, then
I don't know that there's anything you can do to fix it.

If you were using DTC ports, you could assign a "profile" that would specify
a different device record width, but I've never seen a place to do this for
telnet-created virtual LDEVs (or VT ones either for that matter).

While every "device" needs to have an associated record size, and I suspect
that all the virtual terminal devices use 80 bytes as this value, I don't
think any terminal I/O is actually affected by this value, so you can read
and write more than 80 characters with no problems.

There are however programs that retrieve the record width value for $STDIN
or $STDLIST and use this value in some way that is visible in the behavior
of the program.  A good example is the :LISTF command which formats the
width of :LISTF,0 output using the record width of $STDLIST I believe.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that a program would limit the size of its
terminal reads to the record width of $STDIN, even though this is
unnecessary when talking to a terminal device.

Programs that read input from a !JOB see the record width and record type of
the file that was submitted to the :STREAM command, so it's not unusual to
see strange behavior from programs that aren't expecting fixed length
records ending in lots of spaces, or problems using (or not using) variable
length records or very large record sizes in :STREAM files.  Some problem
like this in the past might have caused someone to put in code like this.

There could be one or more language runtimes which make some assumptions
about reads based on the record size of the input file (Pascal maybe?) if
you use their built-in I/O functions to talk to $STDIN/$STDLIST.

G.