HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:47:54 EDT
Matt asks:

> When we Telnet in to our HP3000 with Reflections or QC Term we are limited
>  to 80 characters as returned by our HP3000.  Telnetting in assigns random
>  device numbers and we never know which device a session will use.  How do
>  you change this to default to 132 character mode for a Telnet session.
>
>  Our HP terminals are hard coded devices so therefore it is easy to assign
>  132 character mode - Any ideas are appreciated.

It is true that when you telnet into an HP3000, the device number is randomly
assigned, chosen from the lowest currently available number in the list of
LDEV's that are *not* defined in SYSGEN.

However, on all of our HP3000's, ranging in age from 5.5 to 7.5, the length
of the input string is 512 characters before the telnet receive buffer fills
and issues a carriage return on its own. If this 512-character input length
is a configurable item, I don't know where it is. But that may not be your
problem. If you're getting a carriage return prematurely, it may be your
application that has specified an 80-character read and it is the mechanism
that is issuing the carriage return after only 80 characters of input.

Wirt Atmar