HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 13:21:22 EDT
Gary writes:

> I for one will not buy any more HP anything.  Xerox makes a phantastic
>  phaser.  Only draw back is it won't talk to the 3000...... but WHO CARES.

The Xerox Phasers will quite readily connect to the HP3000 and print very
efficiently. However, their native language is PostScript, not PCL. In our
case, that's not a problem. We do essentially all of our printing in
PostScript.

We have two Xerox/Tektronix Phasers here, one a true laser (the 560) and the
other a crayon based phase-change device (the 850). Both are excellent
printers -- and every PC and every HP3000 is set to print to both of them.
You can see the phase-change printer at the extreme left of these two images:

     http://aics-research.com/aicsart/training.jpg
     http://aics-research.com/aicsart/train918.jpg

To allow the HP3000 to print via the LAN to the printers, external HP
JetDirect boxes had to be connected to their parallel ports, but once done,
all of the PCs and HP3000s use the same TCP/IP address.

Wirt Atmar