HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 1

From:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:04:34 -0700

I seem to recall from the very first time I came across an HP with
networking that the values set up were something like "6.xx.yy.zz", and at
the time, "network 6" was HP's class A network value;  (this is "top of my
head" memory -- don't take it as gospel...)  Again, the manual at the time
used that as "an example" and the system manager before me set it that way.
When we connected to our "parent" company's network, we got into a "heap o
trouble" because our system was advertising itself as HP... :)
[fortunately, I had just finished some Netware courses, so I knew what to do
to "fix" it...]

> The current NMMGR manuals on docs.hp.com use 192.191.191.009
> as an example, which I am not sure is any better.

Nope, but obviously they've been told (twice) that the example "causes
problems" for folks when they connect systems to the internet for the first
time, and (presumably) they've been told they should use network numbers in
the 192.168 series, but the actual person making the change hasn't caught on
that the second number is significant as well...  Perhaps if the suggestion
were "10.<anything>" they would have had it "right" the first time... :)

Tom