HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 1

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 21:59:28 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Denys
Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]> writes

(making some good points)

>Since it seems that some people are experiencing Roy's problem but others
>are not, I figured it must be something to do with different settings.

At the moment, the theory is WinXP plus Win2000Pro versus anything that
came earlier, including Win2000 alone...

> As Chuck points out, if you do not have the "Show hidden files and
>folders" option set, the "secret" folders do not appear.  Now, Roy did
>say he had set this option on and it still didn't show the folders.
>However, I have just tried turning off the option and then turning it
>back on.

>I found that one must close all occurrences of WE for the setting change to
>take effect. In other words, if you do not have the setting turned on, turn
>it on and then close WE.  Start it again and navigate to the same spot and
>voila, the files and folders are revealed!

You are right that the rules by which Windows Explorer does or does not
accept your updates to its settings are weird and wonderful. My Status
Bar would not persist until I closed WE after updating it, not from the
top RH 'X', but from the File menu Close....

So I tried your suggestion. I found that when I changed these settings
from within Windows Explorer, so I was looking in a suitable (normal!)
folder they took immediate effect. I didn't even have to f5 Refresh.

>If Roy and Tracy did it just this way and it still would not show the hidden
>folders, I would suggest there might be some sort of corruption in their
>registry.

The super-hidden files are already building again in the location I
described. 'Some sort of corruption in their registries (sic)' is an
assertion it is impossible to directly refute, but it would certainly be
a coincidence if we had the exact same corruption - and the same as the
guy whose site I referenced. MOF, it would probably be a long-standing
specific Windows bug. But I can't find anything relevant on the MKB....

Denys, did you have any specific registry keys in mind?

>I have had the wonderful opportunity of recovering from a disk failure on my
>system a few months ago, so my Windows 2000 is quite recent.  Perhaps in
>time, with the addition and removal of a lot of software and junk, the
>registry might get screwed up to cause what Roy and Tracy have experienced.

This is a laptop bought about a year ago, with XP pre-installed. I've
added a few things - MS Office, PSPro, Sage Accounting, Turnpike for
Email, Printer and CD burner drivers, and a virtual Hornby train set -
all pretty respectable.

I'm not one for tweaks and shareware.

I had some 'fun' with EasyCD Creator 4 that involved registry hacks
before I could remove it and put a working 5 on, but it's been pretty
stable.

>At any rate, I would suggest they try switching the settings back and forth
>a few times, exiting WE each time and see what happens.

Yep, tried it - no change to what I described. Changes to whether I
could see Hidden files or not - attribute H, and the 'Operating System'
files - attributes HS, sure. But super-hidden stays super-hidden.

--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  Wm Morris