HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 1

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:57:32 -0500
That may be.  However, the link that was supplied earlier leads to a page
that talks about Windows 98 having the problem.

However, the more I read the page, the more quizzical I became.  The author
of the page hates MS and hates Bill Gates.  That's evident and that's fine
by me.  I don't work for MS and I do not know that Bill Gates.  However, the
author also demonstrates that his hatred of MS & BG really clouds his
analysis to the point where he sees a big conspiracy.

He has two main issues:  1) The IE temporary files are hidden and do not
show up in a search.  2) If you purge Outlook or Outlook Express, your mail
is not purged unless your manually purge the .MBX files.

He displays confusion on both counts.  Let me explain.

1) The IE temporary files are hidden and do not show up in a search.
To which I respond, thank goodness for that.  On my system, my temporary
files amounted to 42,000+ files spread across 30+ folders.  The vast
majority of these files are very small text files.  If these files were not
hidden, every time I would do a search on my computer for one of my files,
especially specifying some text to be contained in the file, the system
would have to go through these 42,000+ files looking for my stuff.  In short
order, I would be bitching and moaning that Windows was too stupid to ignore
these useless files.

Also, when I asked for my tempfiles to be purged, they were indeed purged.
When I enabled WE to see hidden and system files, it happily showed me all
these files.

2) If you purge Outlook or Outlook Express, your mail is not purged unless
you manually purge the .MBX files.
To which I respond, thank goodness for that.  This behavior is the same for
virtually all applications from MS or other vendors.  Uninstalling the
application purges the executables but leaves the data files behind.  I
can't count the number of times, I have had to uninstall and then reinstall
or simply update the application to cure a problem with the app.  I
certainly did NOT want the data files to be purged.  I can do that myself if
I want to.  If the uninstaller were to purge the data files, the howls of
hatred and despair would be unending.  Imagine having all IMAGE databases be
purged off the system if you somehow uninstalled and reinstalled the
IMAGE/SQL subsystem.

I really think there is something wrong with the settings of a system that
will not display the IE hidden files under any circumstances.  The Windows
2000 systems around here do not have this problem.

Denys...