HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 20:44:19 -0600
October 4, 2002

Ms. Jennifer Boggs
Hewlett-Packard Company

Dear Ms. Boggs:

I read with interest your press release dated today, which I have enclosed
below. However I thought that I might write and correct one item in your
release if you don't mind. The poster you mentioned today is not the world's
largest digital image. I believe we hold that honor. In August of 1996,
users of the HP3000 midrange computer created and assembled, on their own
volition, and at their own cost, a poster 50% larger than the one you
describe just prior to the 1996 HP World meeting in Anaheim, CA.

For more details, please see:

     http://aics-research.com/poster/index.html

Best regards,

Wirt Atmar
AICS Research, Inc.
University Park, NM  88003

=====================================

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 4, 2002--

World's Largest Digital Image Features More Than 113,000 Images,

Including Photos of Joy Behar, Colin Cowie, Gavin MacLeod

and Henry Winkler

Entertainment innovator Dick Clark today led 600 sixth graders from James A.
Foshay Learning Center and inventor look-alikes Albert Einstein, Betsy Ross
and Ben Franklin in a New Year's Eve-style countdown to unveil "HP Invent
America" -- the world's largest digital image -- at the Los Angeles Memorial
Coliseum.

The unveiling celebrates HP's rollout of nearly 50 new imaging and printing
products that make it easier for consumers to capture, save, share and print
high-quality photographs.

The football field-sized Photomosaic(TM) is made of 700 four-foot by
eight-foot tiles totaling 22,400 square feet. If the panels were laid end to
end, the image would stretch 5,600 feet, which is longer than 12 Hollywood
signs (5,400 feet) and New York's Verrazano-Narrows Bridge (4,260 feet on
the main span), taller than 10 Washington Monuments (5,500 feet) and nearly
as tall as Mount Rushmore (5,725 feet). The ink used to print the
Photomosaic would fill 34 one-liter soda bottles or more than 100
eleven-ounce coffee mugs.

"In celebration of the introduction of nearly 50 imaging and printing
products -- the largest consumer product rollout in HP's history -- we found
no better way than to allow consumers to share in the excitement through the
creation and unveiling of the world's largest digital image," said Vyomesh
Joshi, executive vice president, HP Imaging and Printing Group. "As a
company that's known for inventiveness, HP is pleased to offer consumers
new, easy-to-use digital imaging 'inventions' that provide high-quality
results at affordable prices."

"HP Invent America" Design

Created by Robert Silvers, who invented Photomosaic technology while a
student at the MIT Media Lab, the "HP Invent America" Photomosaic features
digital images submitted by people across the country that showcase their
favorite inventions. The master image, which is made of more than 113,000
photos, is a map of the United States that highlights inventions such as the
light bulb, telephone, United States flag, baseball and the microchip.

"As an inventor, I was instantly intrigued and interested when HP approached
me to create a Photomosaic that would celebrate America's spirit of
inventiveness," said Robert Silvers, president and chief executive officer,
Runaway Technology Inc. of Cambridge Mass. "It's exciting to see the
culmination of this project, which is the largest image I have ever created
using Photomosaics."

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things...

Favorite inventions from people across the country reflect a celebration of
technology (computers, cell phones); personal inventions (hybrid flow,
American flag created on hay bales); food (candy, coffee); clothing (jeans,
sneakers); people (children, parents, friends); scenery (sunsets,
mountains); transportation (motorcycles, cars); landmarks (Mt. Rushmore,
Golden Gate Bridge); and animals (dogs, cats).

The Photomosaic also features photos submitted by celebrities that highlight
their favorite inventions, including:

--  Dick Clark with a phonograph;

--  Joy Behar, co-host of ABC Television's The View, with her hair

dryer;

--  Colin Cowie, celebrity wedding and party planner, with his

watch;

--  Gavin MacLeod (a.k.a. Captain Stubing from The Love Boat) with

a cruise ship; and

--  Henry Winkler (a.k.a. Fonzie from Happy Days), executive

producer of Hollywood Squares, with the manuscript to his

first book.

Creating "HP Invent America"

The company used high-performance HP Designjet 5500s large-format printers,
nine gallons of HP 83 UV ink and 56 rolls of HP heavyweight coated paper --
ideal supplies for outdoor signs, posters and banners

-- to print the photo-quality image. The printers, ink and paper used for
the creation of the image represent the technology that HP is now making
available in its new line of consumer imaging and printing products.

To view "HP Invent America" and for information about where and by whom the
featured inventions were created, log on to http://www.hp.com/inventamerica.

About HP

HP is a leading global provider of products, technologies, solutions and
services to consumers and businesses. The company's offerings span IT
infrastructure, personal computing and access devices, global services and
imaging and printing. HP completed its merger transaction involving Compaq
Computer Corp. on May 3, 2002. More information about HP is available at
http://www.hp.com.

Note: A Photo is available at URL:

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/photo.cgi?pw.100402/bb5

CONTACT: