HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 22:25:23 EDT
Tracy writes:

> Windows killed my QCTerm.
>
>  It complained COMDLG32.OCS was an older version.

"Windows" itself most likely did not kill your version of QCTerm. Rather,
it's much more likely you loaded some new piece of software that installed an
older version of the "common dialog" OCX. This is an unfortunately common
problem, known quaintly as "DLL Hell", and arises because in 95, 98 and NT,
all of the DLLs are read out of one single directory, /windows/system.

The problem has been fixed -- or at least worked around -- in 98SE, Me, 2000,
and XP so that you will not see this kind of problem again.

>  Had to copy AICS version of COMDLG32.OCX to the WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory
in W98.

>  Not sure if this was a safe action.

You did exactly the right thing, and it's perfectly safe.

>  Perhaps it should be added to Wirt's OCXFIXSETUP.exe
>  or added to QCTerm's FAQ.

Actually, it's already in the FAQ -- and that's precisely what the
ocxfixerupper routine does: it automatically transfers the newest versions of
all of the OCX'es that QCTerm requires into the Windows/System folder (but it
will never transfer in an older version; it does check the dates, as I wish
everyone did. If all programs did that simple check, you would never have had
the problem).

Wirt Atmar