HP3000-L Archives

October 2002, Week 1

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 07:23:26 -0700
This is "OT" because I am NOT trying to interface it with the HP3000, but
thought someone on this list might have an idea how to solve my problem - if
you are familiar with my writing in the 3000 Newswire, you know that I know
this printer will never work as an MPE native spooler network printer.

Here is the story.

We've been using this printer as a serial printer to the HP3000 for years
with no problem. Recently, we've had a need to connect this printer to a
Windows network for printing special labels. Since the printer supports a
parallel interface, I figured it would be no problem. Wrong.

I can hook the printer up with a parallel cable to a PC and print to it just
fine (configured as a generic ascii/text printer). However, when I use the
same cable and hook it to a standard HP Jetdirect, nothing, not even a test
page from the Jetdirect. If I take the same Jetdirect box and the same cable
and hook it up to a nearby LaserJet, everything works just fine. So,

*       the printer works as a parallel printer to a PC
*       the cable works either connecting the LP to a PC or connecting a
Jetdirect to a LaserJet
*       the Jetdirect works fine when connected to a LaserJet

The only thing I can figure is that the Jetdirect is expecting some signal
from the LP that it is not supplying (a signal the PC does not care about).
Seems pretty weird. Any ideas?

Yes, I know, if worse comes to worse, I can set up a PC as a print server,
but that seems so Rube Goldburgian. :-)