UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Nicholas Boer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 12:36:26 -0400
I can't believe an "oxygen parlor" is coming on campus. This is such a
crock. Granted it is safe. It is oxygen after all. The sensory stimulation
based on the scents may also be nice and relaxing. Different scents have
been suggested to calm, increase awareness, and/or help with concentration
and learning. (I do not know of anything in the professional literature to
support or refute these claims.) However, breathing room air versus 92%
Oxygen will make no physiologic difference. The hemoglobin in our blood is
typically over 97% saturated with oxygen when breathing room air. Even when
we exercise our hemoglobin is fully saturated. (We get out of breath,
because we are trying to get rid of excess CO2/carbon dioxide caused as a
biproduct of metabolism and buffering lactic acid). Increasing the percent
of Oxygen in the air we breathe will not significantly affect the saturation
of oxygen in our blood. THe only case where a high concentration of oxygen
will be helpful is for individuals with pulmonary disorders or individuals
at high altitude, but that is a completely different ballgame. As for the
floating sensation, I am curious to know what is in the other 8% of the air
(sarcasm). I just hope nobody (i.e. campus entertainment) paid for this
quackery.

Nicholas Boer

Nicholas F. Boer, PHD, MPH
Assistant Professor, Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
Exercise Science, Health and Leisure Studies
Dept. 6606
615 McCallie Ave
Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598
University of Tennessee Chattanooga