UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Eugene Bartoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eugene Bartoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:24:43 -0400
Let me add a little dissidence to Margaret's message.  A year or so ago the
United Way was asked to review its support of the Boy Scouts because of
that Boy Scouts's ban against homosexuals serving as scoutmasters.  Our
United Way demurred.  While I understand that discrimination based on
sexual orientation is not against the law and that the Boy Scouts can,
therefore, do what it wishes in this matter I do not have to support the
Boy Scouts with any of my money, or make any monetary contribution to an
organization which supports the Boy Scouts.  I choose to send the money
that I would give to the United Way to three or four organizations that I
wish to support directly to them and not through the United Way.

As a related piece of information you all might like to know that the
recent No Child Left Behind legislation from the federal government has
made it illegal for any school receiving federal support under this
legislation to deny the Boy Scouts the use of its facilities if such denial
is connected to the Boy Scouts's position on homosexuals.

--Gene

At 08:34 AM 10/4/02 -0700, Margaret Kelley wrote:
>Dear Campus Colleagues,
>Vice Chancellor Brown and the United Way Coordination Committee have us off
>and running toward another successful United Way Campaign for 2002! This
>year's goal of $88,000 can only be achieved with broad campus participation
>and generosity.
>
>United Way provides many services to citizens throughout the greater
>Chattanooga area.  Last year, UTC employees utilized over $140,000 in
>services from the 41 member agencies.  As Vice Chancellor for University
>Advancement, I understand the importance of giving.  Last year, while UTC
>did a tremendous job in giving some $85,000 to United Way, during that same
>period members of the community gave UTC millions for its programs.  Giving
>to others really works wonders, and the fruits of your giving always return
>to you.
>
>I support United Way. Please help UTC . . . help others . . .one life at a
>time!       Margaret Kelley

Eugene Bartoo
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga