UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"Dr. Mike Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 14:37:04 -0500
Present:  Drs. Michael H. Jones (chair), Cecelia Wigal, Verbie Prevost,
Billy Edwards, Ms. Sandy Zitkus, Molly Kotarski, and Chloe Morrison
(Echo  news editor)

Excused:  Dr. Walker Breland

Absent:  Emmanuel DeWalt, Tiffany Smith

Dr. Jones asked that we look at the academic standards forms associated
with the NCAA instrument supplied to us.  He indicated that we should
provide dialog with the documentation.  It was suggested that we begin
by asking Sandy Zitkus to provide data for 1) Previous certification
self-study; list corrective actions if related to academic integrity
issues 2) List items completed and/or progress made regarding
improvement and recommendations relating to the first-cycle
certification, and 3) List progress regarding required actions
identified during the institution's earlier report.  It was stated that
several of these issues were addressed for our recent SACS report, and
should be readily available.

Sandy Zitkus was also asked to analyze student/athlete data to confirm
how academic standards are set, how records are kept and resulting
graduation rates, compared to the regular student.  It was suggested
that Dick Gruetzemacher, institutional research director, would have the
statistics needed to complete the report.  Dr. Jones suggested Dr.
Breland assist Ms. Zitkus with this important task.

Information must also be obtained relating to student/athletes as they
go through our University's admission process.  They undergo the same
process as a regular student, with no additional standards or policies.
Ms. Zitkus will pull s/a admissions files as these records are kept
separate from the student body.  There was discussion on how to tell if
an athlete is removed from the roster, it is not documented that he/she
is readmitted into the normal student body.  This will be remedied
through assistance from Ralph Manning's office, Director of Compliance
and Academics for student/athletes.  Dr. Wigal offered to create an
excel program to assist Ms. Zitkus in these efforts.  It would then be
possible for the committee to view these records as they became
available.

Academic Support was the nest issue.  Molly Kotarski was asked to submit
documentation showing that student/athletes are getting adequate
academic support services, regardless of sport or participation, that
they are encouraged and assisted in reaching attainable goals, and that
these services are approved and reviewed periodically outside the
athletic department.  It is further needed to show an organizational or
flow chart showing how the athletic department is organized to provide
academic support, advisement, priority registration, tutoring, mentoring
and post-eligibility programs.  Dr. Prevost was asked to provide
narrative to the information from Ms. Kotarski.

The next area to consider was scheduling.  Drs. Jones and Edwards will
undertake the job of locating minutes from the archives, concerning the
faculty council's original vote or later reaffirmation of the policies
connected with possible conflicts of student/athletes' travel days, the
number of missed classes and considerations of final examination periods
for specific sports.  They will look at procedures to monitor missed
class time and analyze what has been determined to be significant or
excessive for any sport.  Dr. Jones suggested these policies and
procedures should be included in the student/athlete handbook, which is
updated yearly and the athletic department's policy and procedure
manual.

The next meeting of the academic integrity committee will be November 6
at 1:30 P.M. in the Chancellor's conference room in Founders' Hall.  The
meeting ended at 2:40 P.M. with Billy Edwards noting we had no beverages
but comfy chairs.

Respectfully submitted,

Molly Kotarski