UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:03:36 -0500
I don't know if all have heard of the tragic events of yesterday in Tucson at
the University of Arizona. Three university nursing professors were shot by a
student, and two died. The student later killed himself. What is also tragic
is that even though the event was briefly mentioned on the television news,
nothing was mentioned in our newspaper today. Have we become so used to this
violence that killing faculty and shootings at schools are just other "ho-hum"
activities of our society?? That really scares me. I know I've had students
"threaten" me over grades before, saying "I always gotten "A"s in high school-
why should I get a lower grade in college!"
My usual response is that I don't "give" grades; students "earn" the grade
they get. I guess I've been lucky so far.
Another shocking fact revealed by the story online was that the student who
did this apparently "often carried a weapon on campus" because he had  a
permit to carry a concealed weapon. I hope that our school policies are not
the same!!
Gerry

forwarded mail:
>===== Original Message From "Christina B. Whittaker"
The local paper, the Tucson Citizen, has fuirther on-line information
regarding the tragic events of yesterday.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/local/10_29_02shooting.html

>___________________________________

Christina B. Whittaker, RN, MN, NPCCC, CDE
Lecturer
Faculty of Nursing
Helen Glass Centre for Nursing
University of Manitoba