UTCSTAFF Archives

October 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
rmetzger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:40:31 -0400
Thanks LaLa for making people aware of this site.  I'm spending my sabbatical
year as a research assistant at the University of North Carolina Breast
Center.  The tremendous gains in survival rates over the last 20 years are do
in no small measure to the efforts of the community keeping the funding needs
in front of organizations.  This effort by CIGNA, work by the Avon Foundation,
the Komen Foundation, and many others have all contributed much to public
awareness.  Research has now progressed to the point where women diagnosed
with early stage breast cancer can anticipate a 5 year survival rate of 95%,
compared to about 50% in 1950.  Everything any of you do helps us all.
Thanks
Rich

 >===== Original Message From Oralia Preble-Niemi
>If you go to the CIGNA web site and click on the pink ribbon, CIGNA will
>donate $1.00 to fight breast cancer. Only good the month of October -
>please pass it on!.
>
><http://www.cignafoundation.org/>http://www.cignafoundation.org/
>
>Thanks,
>
>Lala
>

>Please notice the new prefix on the phone numbers.
>"No hay libro tan malo que no tenga algo bueno."
>         -Miguel de Cervantes- Don Quijote de la Mancha
>**************************************
>"I divide all readers into two classes:  Those who read to
>remember and those who read to forget." -William Phelps
>***************************************
>Oralia Preble-Niemi, Ph.D.
>Professor and Head
>Foreign Languages & Literatures