SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2002

From:
Krazy Kiwi Viv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:43:52 -0500
On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 M. Bevelhimer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>At 10:28 PM 10/30/2002 -0500, Krazy Kiwi wrote:
>>the sea hare mating patch (a weird sight indeed as they seem to enjoy
>>the orgy on mass so you end up with a long line of these huge slimy
>>things),
>
>I had a professor at Ohio State University that studied the mating
>behavior of sea hares.  Even in small aquaria they were quite
>uninhibited.  Threesomes, foursomes, and more.  Made for quite the
>interesting seminar.
>-Mark

Kinky ;-) .. but someones gotta do it I guess :-)
Actually the ones I spotted on mass -head to tail, about 8 in a row doubled-
up in pairs facting each other -look to the eye a very dark-brown to deep-
maroon colour. As they can function both as male & female imagine the fun
they were getting up to.

Below is a link you might like to peak at. The 2nd pic down is the type of
sea hare I have encountered off Cottesloe Beach. The sea hare in the 1st
pic I have only seen at Coral Bay myself but as they are not pretty things
to photograph  I don't actively search for them even though I know they are
common on this side of the pond.
Viv

http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/wf/bc/bc94aut.html

In common with many molluscs, sea hares are hermaphroditic. That is, each
can function as both a male and a female. They are well known to form daisy
chains of mating individuals. In some cases the front and rear animals also
mate, forming a complete circle. One such daisy chain of about 15
individuals was found at a depth of about 15 in off Cape Naturaliste
several years ago.

http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/wf/bc/bc94aut.html