SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2002

From:
Krazy Kiwi Viv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 02:34:07 -0500
On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 M. Bevelhimer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Sounds like a great dive!  Who needs to go 250 ft deep?
>Thanks for the report.  BTW, what's a dumpling?  Sounds like a
>flatfish (i.e., flounder, sole, etc).
>-Mark B.
>
>At 01:10 PM 10/26/2002 -0400, Krazy Kiwi wrote:
>>I did a 83 min dive and was so chuffed to find my first baby dumpling
>>...it was so cute. Shining my dive light in the sand I spotted first
>>the eyes and then noticed the lines on its body change colour, turn
>>a bright purple colour, before it tried to shuffle down further in
>>the sand. Slipping a hand under it from behind I scooped it up for a
>>closer look then put it back down on the sand to watch it quickly
>>shuffle under till only the eyes were visible.

Type faster than me befuddled, slightly damp (then) brain can fink ;-)
That should have been *pin-striped dumpling squid*.

It was an accident I spotted this one. I paused to watch a octopus perched
on a fallen pylon trying with all its might to stretch out one of its
tentacles to grab something in the sand. Looking in that direction I could
see nothing but on closer inspection I noticed a patch of sand that was a
different colour. There I spotted the dumpling squid's eyes. I thot I'd
help it live another day by shooing the ocki further on along the pylon and
patiently waited for Hutch to work her way back pass me so she could get a
pic of it.

Can't wait to get back down there for the next night dive which is this
Saturday so another shallow :-) dive trip report will be forthcoming.
Viv