SCUBA-SE Archives

October 2002

From:
Huw Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:58:30 -0400
On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:58:36 +0200, Kuty <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>At 16/10/02 08:02 -0400, Huw wrote:
>
>>I had no fast ascents, no skipped deco, wasn't dehydrated, wasn't
>>exceptionally cold.  But there is no particular reason to worry *this*
>>time, I knew I was pushing it a bit with a load of deep dives in six days,
>>and the two deco dives in a row on the last day can't have helped
either...

>I looked at your profiles.  Looks like you did push it a bit.  Anyway, I
>prefer to prolong my stops when I push it.  Especially when I use the
>computer in the Nitrox mode - to get more bottom time, and go into
>deco.

I thought I had given myself a bit of a margin...  but obviously not
enough.  For example, on the last dive with just 3 mins of ceiling at 3m
showing on the Stinger, we actually did 1 min@15m, 1@12m, 2@9m (after which
the ceiling had cleared) and finally [log in to unmask]  And I switched from EAN25
backgas to my stage which was still full of EAN35 for the ascent as well.

My only criticism of the boat (MV Karin) was they would only do air tops
for the second dives, pleading lack of time.

>  Did you feel the symptoms you described right after the dive and
>then for a few days or did it start later?

Straight after... I'm used to feeling a bit weary and having a few mild
aches for a couple of hours after a few hard dives, it was when it hadn't
cleared up after two days of driving back south I started to wonder.  My
bet is it was just a bit too aggressive for multi-day repetition, mixed
with a bit of bad luck.

>I have to admit that it is funny to see the dry suit DIR style sling stage
>diver jumping in the water with his force fins :-)

Strange you mention that - I've just picked up a cheap pair of Mares
Quattros. :-)

Cheers,
Huw
--