HP3000-L Archives

September 2002, Week 5

From:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:29:16 -0500

<snip>

> Two things come to mind.
>
> 1- Not a single one of the protagonists came to tell me about
> it.  They all
> knew where to find me but instead they chose to grandstand.  I have no
> problems with grandstanding.  I have done that myself on
> occasion.  But it
> would have been even more efficient to tell me or some other
> director or Ron
> Evans about it and ALSO do the grandstanding.

I find it interesting that none of your management chose to inform you about
the event. After all they were there and had to realize that the ship was
about to hit the sand. Perhaps those involved assumed the board was actually
running Interex.

> 2- I am surprised that none of the offended parties even
> considered for a
> second that someone might have screwed up.  It could not have been an
> Interex policy and they knew that, by the simple expedient
> that Interex is a
> member of the press!  That's part of what we do!  No one realized the
> dichotomy, instead they ran for the nearest soapbox.

Why should they have?

The interex board already demonstrated it's loyalties beyond doubt with the
endorsement of the HP/Compaq merger that in no way took into account the
feelings of the membership.

It was also resonable that they would assume the Interex board would have
had to know about and approve a decision of this magnitude.

<snip>

> Now, I understand people like to stir the pot and inflame
> situations and I
> say, "knock yourself out."  However, this issue has nothing
> to do with the
> elections or Interex's position on issues.  It's a screw-up
> by one person,
> plain and simple.  If you want to blow it up into a big
> conspiracy, go for
> it.  There is plenty of freedom of speech on the Internet
> where every kook
> can express his or her opinions about anything.
>

> Denys...

So, accepting your story as true, this complete ignorance on the part of the
board about a key policy decision made by a member of the Interex management
has nothing to do with the elections?

I am curious, what exactly should members consider besides past performance
when deciding to reelect a board member?

As for your kook comment, I expect most here will let it pass rather than
sink to that level.

Comments are my own, not my employer's... etc.