HP3000-L Archives

September 2002, Week 1

From:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:20:43 -0700
OK, Alan, here's your "squabble" ;-)

I've worked with View and VPlus (but never HiLi) and have always found two
problems:

1) maintaining coordination between programs and ViewForms can be difficult
when making changes, and it's always irritated me that I can't maintain the
screen attributes in the same source file as the code with which it
interacts.
2) more generally, when using block mode, the code likely must process the
entire screenful of data before committing to any thread of action.

I've also had the pleasure of working with at least two quite similar sets
of character-mode screen drivers, which are not only very easy to code, but
produce _phenominal_ performance on an MPE box due to very tiny transactions
- literally hundreds of users running the same program see NO perceptible
delay, even on a small slow box.

Unfortunately, using character mode greatly reduces your chances of
converting your user interface to web pages, which are essentially block
mode; so much so in fact that I'm considering re-engineering about a hundred
char-mode programs to run VPLUS (or some other blockmode) as an interim
step.  (anybody got a better BLOCKMODE system than VPLUS?)

That said, if anyone (Kent, originally, I think?) wants a set of well-worn
easy-to-code character-mode (not specified in the original question I
think!) screen handling routines, I'll make them available for free, and I
might add that problems 1) and 2) are completely eliminated, and it's MUCH
easier than VPLUS for making dynamically 'pretty' screens.  Introduced in
place of the VPLUS difficulties is this difficult-to-teach caveat re use of
several popular and intuitive mechanisms: "DO NOT use Enter, Insert, Delete,
arrow keys, etc, as the host will receive only a string of characters typed,
which can be _quite_ different than 'what appears on the screen when you hit
submit (Return)'".

Tracy Pierce