HP3000-L Archives

September 2002, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:42:57 EDT
Stan writes:

> Christian asks:
>  > Or was HP already trying to kill its own baby 10 years ago ?
>
>  Excellent observation!
>
>  Yes, I believe they were.
>  IIRC, we heard statements from Lew and Wim that confirmed that :(
>
>  (Note that I don't think any engineers in CSY were aware of this.)

Well, it shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone. Roelandt's intentions
were in all of the newspapers at the time. At precisely the same time that
the Boston tea party was going on, when users were booing HP managers for the
first time, Wim Roelandts, just a few doors down, was blithely (and
arrogantly) giving an interview to Ron Seybold, then of The HP Chronicle,
saying precisely that it was his intention to move everyone off of the HP3000
and TurboImage, and onto "open systems" and SQL, as soon as possible. His
interview was published in the October, 1990 issue of The Chronicle.

Wirt Atmar