HP3000-L Archives

September 2002, Week 1

From:
"Wayne R. Boyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:39:14 EDT
In a message dated 9/6/02 11:23:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> It's really there, and has been since the 918 was introduced.

Hmmmm.... So my suposition that all crippling is done in software is correct?

Then....
1) Someone could write some very clever PM code to UNcripple MPE....

2) The code MUST detect the model # of the box (HPSUSAN?) and use that to
determine whether or not to cripple and if so, by how much....

3) Extra easy for HP to uncripple any machine....

4) No need to exchange any hardware when upgrading to an uncrippled model #

And I still think that crippling a product is long-term dumb.  Does Sun, IBM,
Dell, etc. cripple their products and tout 'better crippling and slower
performance'?  This is all part of the bundled approach to HP-3000s and MPE
and why I beleive that both are dying creatures.  HP-3000 to HP-3000
comparisons mean something but HP-3000 to Dell comparisons for example are
made in the bigger world.

Still interested in hearing more from people who would like to propose
serious long term solutions to the EOL/migration situation...

Wayne Boyer