HP3000-L Archives

September 2002, Week 1

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:25:16 -0700
These conflicting views of HP support illustrate the real problem:
inconsistency.  We on the list often speak of HP's pitiful (or absent) sales
efforts.  I have at various times received sales support that has ranged
from dismal to spectacular, depending on who is currently assigned to the
account.  Likewise, when calling for technical support, I am sometimes
disappointed, and often quite pleased, depending on who takes the call.  HP
has struggled with how to manage its people, and how to reward the good ones
and weed out the bad.  This problem is not unique to HP, of course.

There was a story that circulated a few months ago concerning the methods HP
employed to select people for layoff.  The allegation was that performance
was not considered; only demographic data was used, because that would help
deflect charges of discrimination.  If this is true, it is an excellent
example of HP's continuing efforts at self destruction.  HP employs many
dedicated, talented people who place top priority on customer satisfaction,
and it has been my pleasure to deal with many of them.  Unfortunately, there
are also a significant number of incompetents who need to be
coached/incented to do their jobs or be removed.  The failure to do so has
had a negative impact on customers' overall experience with HP.