HP3000-L Archives

September 2002, Week 1

From:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Clogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 17:13:45 -0700
John,
I agree that advertising the performance as 110 Mhz while it actually
performs at 55 is wrong, even fraudulent.  Since system performance is
affected by so many factors other than clock speed, I question the validity
of Gavin's "measured" speed, however.  While we may quibble about the
*degree* of software "crippling" that has been done to this machine, that is
secondary to the point I was trying to make.  The real question is whether
software crippling should be used at all.

My point is that HP decided (for reasons that may or may not be valid) to
sell a box at this performance point.  If they had accomplished that level
of performance by building hardware that was actually that slow, no one
would be complaining.  (They might not buy the machine, but they wouldn't
complain about its existence.)  Knowing that the box is capable of better
performance seems to be the issue that annoys everyone.  My opinion, on the
other hand, is that if HP wants to sell a box at performance point X, and
sell it for price Y, it really doesn't matter how they accomplish it, unless
the choice they made caused the box to be more expensive.  I believe HP's
choice to use software crippling actually kept costs down, because they
didn't have to design multiple hardware platforms. In any case, the purchase
price of an HP 3000 bears little relationship to its cost of manufacture (as
evidenced by the price of equivalent HPUX machines), so the cost issues are
probably meaningless to the customer.

I am not prepared to defend the wisdom of HP's reasoning.  I simply believe
that their motives are not as nefarious as everyone seems to believe.  There
is an old and wise adage: Never attribute to malice that which can be
explained by stupidity.