UTCSTAFF Archives

September 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Henry Spratt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry Spratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:57:37 -0400
Hey, guys, I'd like to try this micro-management thing one more time.  The
pedestrian crossings around the UC construction site on Fifth St. are still
challenging to say the least.  Thankfully, nobody seems to have been hurt
using these crossings.  The question I pose now has to do with what we
pedestrians are supposed to do when we've obeyed the "Pedestrians Must Use
North Sidewalk" sign, crossed the road, and then try to walk up or down
that section of sidewalk. At class changing times with two-way pedestrian
traffic there's not much room on the sidewalk.  This is especially
problematic when you encounter one of three tree limbs or bushes that
practically obstruct the entire walkway, especially in the rain. Has anyone
associated with posting those signs actually tried to walk on the north
sidewalk?  Maybe it's the City's responsibility.  But our UTC
responsibility, since we're the ones having construction done on the UC,
should be to make sure that displaced pedestrians have a place to actually
walk.  UTC should hound the City if necessary to trim the branches and
bushes.  I'll be happy to go out there and hack away if we can't find
anyone who'll take care of it. Just have the Physical Plant deliver some
trimming devices to my office and it'll be done.  Hope you-all have great
weekends!

                                Take care,

                                Henry Spratt

Henry G. Spratt, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 McCallie Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37403

Ph:     (423)425-4383