UTCSTAFF Archives

September 2002

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
"Dr. Joe Dumas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Joe Dumas
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:03:45 -0400
Hello all,

I guess most of you have heard by now that the Faculty Council voted
down my resolution asking for the City Council to reconsider the
conversion of McCallie Avenue and Bailey Avenue/MLK Boulevard to two-way
streets.  It was worth a try and I don't regret bringing it up.  Public
debate is good for both sides.

I would like to thank Marvin Ernst and the Faculty Council Executive
Committee for putting my resolution on the agenda and inviting
representatives of both sides to present relevant information to the
Faculty Council.  All faculty should be proud to have such fair,
impartial, and open-minded leadership.  All I asked was a fair shot to
present my case and an up or down vote on the issue, and the Executive
Committee made sure I got that chance.  I wish the results had turned
out differently, but that's life.  You win a few, you lose a few.
Neither I nor the "Save Our Streets" committee have given up, but I will
take any further efforts off-campus and not trouble the Faculty Council
or this discussion list again.

Only 23 faculty were present and voting at the Faculty Council meeting.
  Just out of curiosity, I would like to know how staff members and
faculty members who are not on the Council would have voted had they
been able.  (I'll enclose the text of my resolution below.)  If you have
an opinion one way or the other please respond by private e-mail and not
to this list.  As I said, I don't intend to take up any more of the
campus' time on this by posting further RAVEN messages or bringing the
subject up in any more campus meetings.

To the presenters on both sides, to my fellow Faculty Council members,
and to the Executive Committee, thanks for your time and attention.
Have a great weekend, all!

Joe Dumas