SCUBA-SE Archives

September 2002

Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 20:56:18 -0500
> Chuck is certainly entitled to his opinion about the above shops, and
> has reasons for his opinion.  He has given the reason why he doesn't
> like Aldora anymore.
>
> But in the absence of some specific reasons, or specific complaints
> against certain DMs of boat captains, especially for a dive op
> the size of Dive Paradise, which has perhaps the largest staff of
> DMs and boat captains in Cozumel, such a blanket indictment is most
> likely to be unfair to the shop and MANY of its diving staff.

Perhaps but none is based on a single experience (except Cha Cha Cha - and
in that case safety was extremely compromised.)  I have been on DP boats
numerous times and with the possible exception of the NEDFest (when everyone
ignored the DMs anyway) have never had an enjoyable experience.

If anyone wants specifics on any, I will gladly provide them but I choose
not to do so in a public forum.  As Bob points out it is quite possibly a
biased sample based on my experiences but if you ask for an opinion, that is
generally what you will get (a biased sample based on experience.)

And Bob is quite right about change in Cozumel.  Some of it is sad but some
of it is progress.  What galls is that little of it is progress for the vast
majority of the population.  The rich get richer and the poor - stay poor
for they cant get much poorer.

For anyone with old PCs, the schools down there will take anything they can
get their hands on. Education is the only way out for a lot of them and
sadly the state only funds education thru the 6th grade.
CH